Last week, we asked veteran teachers on social media to tell us what piece of advice they would give to new teachers entering the classroom this year. This is what they said:
- Pray for your students. Many are coming into that classroom with issues that no child should have to endure.
- Get organized and stay organized but be ready to be flexible. Focus on procedures and routines for the first week or two. ALWAYS put relationships with the kids first.
- Do not stay all night! Go home and be present with your loved ones. There will never be enough time to get it all done so you have to prioritize and make time for yourself.
- Be strict but fair with routines and classroom rules and take every opportunity to show them love!
- Do what’s right for the students.
- Tomorrow is a new day.
- Family first. Always!
We hope this advice is helpful to anyone entering the education field this year. We know how nerve-wracking it can be to step into your own classroom for the first time. That’s why Professional Educators of Tennessee is here to support you and have your back! Have a great school year, educators!